Friday, August 29, 2008

Invesco Field

Oh I have so many things to say about this experience that I don't know where to start. First, I am generally going to layoff of the corny inspiration BS. I think we all know the event was moving and was even more moving and uplifting in person. The tributes to MLK only increased the meaning of the day. It was beautiful, packed and energetic. That being said I want to share some insights that likely were not on tv.

1) The line in and out was miserable. Here is my question - didn't they think about this ahead of time and why did they act like they have never had that many people there at one time before. WTF?!?! You hold football games and concerts there. I get this was tighter security but really it was insane. The line in was so long and hot that I literally saw fights about whether people were cutting or not. A group of elderly women almost had it out with a group of young girls over this issue. The old ladies literally grabbed on to a fence and physically pushed the girls back and made a baricade. It was crazy. Then on the way out they fixed the traffic pattern so virtually every person had to funnel over this tiny footbridge. Again WTF?!? You knew there would be 80,ooo people was there really no better way.

2) Going with the traffic issues - losing your group in that scene is miserable but here is at tip. When they give out the same American flag to all 80,000 holding up the flag about your head and telling your group via cell phone you are the one holding up an American flag is ineffective because 80,000 people also are holding up American flags.

3) Stock food people - I tried to get chips with my burger but the delivery truck forgot to come. It took 45 min to get a back of popcorn. I guess the vendors were all DNCC volunteers so the explains some of it.

4) Finally someone sitting my row ripped the biggest loudest fart right in the middle of a serious quiet point in the speech. Listen people just a tip if you are at an event with that much applause and cheering hold the fart until such time as that noise will cover it.

No comments: